Subscribe Us

A Magical Simple Life in the Australian Rainforest





 It started with a dream of working alongside the earth's animals and systems of nature we are sisters Julia and Anastasia and for a few years we have now returned to this magical rainforest sometimes I think it's funny to call this life simple to take care of 22 ducks or six goats to be at the mercy of the weather and learn that A storm can come and wash away all we've done to mend fences only for a tree to fall on them the next day or we'll be constantly weeding just for new growth but I think it's those experiences that make other moments so extraordinary it's the simplicity of seeing the change you can make with your own hands and yours Watch the work we do transforming the landscape Watch our little world transform and see the seasons return again and again


  Fog wafts across the valley, light disappears from the cliff and encounters the new growth of red cedar that radiates across the rainforest, it is the simplicity of knowing where our food grows or knowing the health of the soil dictates our health is that we are no different than animals, we are just a small part of a large and beautiful system, it is The simplicity of looking inward and focusing on one place, one landscape and one purpose to live with the earth, it's my birthday this morning I turned 23, I put on my cutest dress and I'm so excited, I've been partying with the animals all morning, I woke up and it was the most beautiful Absolute sunrise my name actually means birth of spring and spring has arrived and there was this beautiful mist covering everything which is rare because usually there isn't much rain in spring so it was a really special morning this is the most feeling It's magical in the world to lie in a field of flowers or a little goat


  Sleeping on my lap Moonbey makes this little snort when she sleeps which is the most adorable thing in the world A few weeks ago the moth gave birth to two little girls Moonbey and a paisley moth so confident she learned she could leave them with us. As she goes to forage now, she's gone a little further and treats us like her own personal daycare, dropping off her kids for hours at a time, although we do appreciate the time she has spent taking care of these tender babies watching them grow and it's something Incredible they are even starting to learn how to use a swing their joy is contagious so I'm on babysitting duty again with these little ones it's probably my favorite job ever I'm going to try embroidering this sweater as a birthday present I actually made this embroidery I think in Her 18th birthday and that was before she went abroad alone like the ocean her adventure but now I'm going to add more decorations I'm making some ferns some butterflies beans maybe a goat or two he knows that


  There's a simplicity of crafting In having an idea and then using your hands to bring it to life Julia asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I couldn't think of a single thing when she revealed it to me I was so excited Creativity work together means so much more than any monetary gift these days I'm spent embroidering stories Motifs and meaning on an old sweater is the greatest gift in the world something I can carry with me all my life and always think of that simple time in my happiest moments creating with my sister whether it be making art or mending fences I always find that time spent doing menial tasks With my own hands it makes me feel accomplished and fulfilled. We lost this fence for a long time in the floods will this be a huge river so we are fixing it and changing it so it works again so we can put sheep in


  This field, I am always afraid to run wires without that little fence and gate that collapsed under the force of the flood waters, we couldn't use this field for sheep or goats, I put off this job for a long time but in the end it wasn't even th hard, Very nice to get this simple but important job done after a bit of wiring and adjusting and then a big walk making sure there are no weeds on the electric fence the coop is ready for the sheep we live in we don't invite the goats in yet as they have a bad habit of jumping on any Fencing is not very strong and tall, but we usually like to manage pasture for different flocks Sheep prefer grass while goats prefer grass and bush together they make a great team. Getting rid of peeling and weeds and leaving space for native plants and fruit trees to thrive in a fence in a rainforest is always a difficult task, but this



  The simple fix has changed a lot now and the sheep have access to a new pickaxe that's always needed to get into our spring dry areas they actually make this little grunting noise oops are you ok this is the delicious bread i learned how to make from buckwheat flour yogurt and a little of salt and you mix it together and then you share well he makes his own flatbread and it's so delicious there used to be four ducks but mushroom their brother moved over to our brother's house because he had one duck called Pluto and she had a partner who died so she needed a friend so mushroom moved there he has Sneaked into the vegetable garden which is really naughty of them and I don't think they ate anything but it's bedtime now it's so cute yeah you know it


  Very inspired by the embroidery on this dress Anastasia and I used to wear when we were little and it has these hand embroidered little bees I thought we would need a lot of bees on this jacket this is the best gift ever I could embroider and try this on with you and then wear it forever take those The little bees are with me everywhere Moonbee and Paisley ran to be with their mum and they are happy learning to forage with her and started eating things which were so adorable they love the little leaf chews

Post a Comment

0 Comments